About The abolish Foundation
Abolish is a film and campaign about the use of forced labour in toy manufacturing supply chains.
The Abolish Foundation (TAF), a Canadian not-for-profit, creates social impact campaigns that take action on issues uncovered by Wishing Step Pictures media. Abolish is the first of these campaigns.
about Modern slavery
what is modern day slavery?
“Modern slavery,” “trafficking in persons,” and “human trafficking” have been used as umbrella terms for the act of recruiting, harboring, transporting, providing, or obtaining a person for compelled labor or commercial sex acts through the use of force, fraud, or coercion. - U.S. Department of State
The industry spans the world. It targets vulnerable populations affected by war, poverty, and oppression. Slavery is closer than you think; although illegal in every country, it persists in every corner of the world, including the most advanced democracies. Some slaves are born into slavery, while others are abducted or trafficked into it under false pretenses. They work under brutal conditions for no pay in construction, manufacturing, sex work, domestic work and agricultural labour.
Canada: 6,500 U.S.A.: 57,700
number of estimated slaves living among us
forms of Slaves :
- Forced labour – any work or services that people are forced to do against their will under the threat of some form of punishment.
- Debt bondage or bonded labour – the world’s most widespread form of slavery, when people borrow money they cannot repay and are required to work to pay off the debt, then losing control over the conditions of both their employment and the debt.
- Human trafficking– involves transporting, recruiting or harbouring people for the purpose of exploitation, using violence, threats or coercion.
- Descent-based slavery – where people are born into slavery because their ancestors were captured and enslaved; they remain in slavery by descent.
- Child slavery – child slavery is often confused with child labour, but is much worse. Child slavery occurs when a child’s labour is exploited for someone else’s gain. It can include child trafficking, child soldiering, child marriage and child domestic slavery.
why is slavery at the HIGHEST number in human history?
The International Labour Organization estimates that there are 21 million slaves in the world today. The modern slavery industry is estimated to generate around $150 billion annually.